Weeknight Veggie Enchiladas
- 8 corn tortillas
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 cups swiss chard, kale, or spinach chopped
- 1 15-ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can red enchilada sauce
- 1 cup queso fresco crumbled
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 avocado diced
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Prepare tortillas. Spray each side with cooking spray. Place on baking sheet and cook for 4-6 minutes, until warm and pliable. Set aside. Reduce heat to 375°F.
- Rinse the sweet potato and pierce in with a knife several times. Place on a plate and cook in the microwave for about 10-14 minutes, until cooked. Once cooled, scoop out the flesh and mash using a fork.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Next, add the garlic, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper and salt.Cook for 1-2 more minutes. Add in the swiss chard and cook until wilted. Once cooked, turn off the heat and add the sweet potato and beans to the skillet. Mix together.
- Assemble enchiladas by pouring about 1⁄4 of the enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9X13 baking pan. Take a tortilla and add a scoop (about 1⁄4 cup) of the filling into the tortilla. Wrap the tortilla and place seam side down into the baking pan. Once all tortillas have been filled, pour the remaining sauce of the top of the enchiladas. Add the cheese on top. Cook for 20-25 minutes, until cheese is melted. Add the cilantro, and avocado on top.