Who knew putting together lentils and mushrooms could make for such a delicious burger?
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 8 oz mushrooms finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cup lentils cooked
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 5 whole wheat buns
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat.
- Once the oil begins to simmer, add onion and cook for about 1 minute. Next, add the garlic and mushrooms and cook until most of the juices have evaporated, 5-6 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper and cook for 2-3 more minutes. Set aside in large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, mash lentils. Mix in the breadcrumbs and egg.
- Transfer the mushrooms into the bowl with the lentils. Mix well, using your hands if needed, then shape into 5 patties. Place on a baking sheet and then freeze for 10 minutes.
- Remove the patties from the freezer. In a large saucepan, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Once the oil begins to simmer, add the patties. Cook for 5 minutes on the other side. Repeat with the remaining patties.
- Assemble the burgers on the buns and add the toppings of your choice - avocado, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and cheese are all good options.